Disclaimer: Originally published in May 2018. It is being republished since it still remains an interesting topic till today.
Driving is a necessary skill in today’s day and age and it is of utmost importance that everyone possesses a license.
Here is your complete guide on how to get a driver’s license.
In order to get a driver’s license, you have to first obtain a learner’s permit. It is only after a period of six months, that you can apply for a permanent driver’s license after fulfilment of certain basic criteria. You can only apply for it when you’re 18 or above.
THE LEARNER’S PERMIT
What is it?
A learner’s permit is a temporary license which is valid till 6 months from the date of issue. It authorizes you to drive on the road, however, a large, bold “L” sign has be put on the rear window of the car, indicating that a learner is present in the said car.
- You can obtain a learner’s permit for riding two-wheelers at the age of 16.
- A learner’s permit can only be issued for four-wheelers at 18
C. Documents Required
- Learner’s license form
- 2 recent passport size photographs
- Self-attested copy of proof of residence, age, educational qualifications
- Valid form for transport vehicle license
- Required fee
You undergo tests for colour blindness and movement of limbs. An online multiple-choice test has to be passed. It asks questions on traffic rules, signs and safety measures. The license is issued on the same day.
THE PERMANENT LICENSE
A. What is it?
It is a permanent permit which allows you to drive a four or a two wheeler without the use of the “L”. It substantiates the argument that you are now eligible to drive.
You must be above 18 years of age and must submit an application form within 180 days of issuing your learner’s permit.
You must be aware of all the traffic and vehicle driving rules and regulations.
C. The Application
An online application form needs to be filled out with all relevant details. The authorities will then assign you a date for your test for which you will have to appear. On passing the test, the license will be issued. Some documents will also need to be submitted.
D. Documents Required
- The application form
- 6 passport size photographs
- Age proof with attested passport copy/birth certificate/employer’s document/educational qualifications
- Residence proof along with attested copy of Voter ID/Aadhaar/Passport/LIC policy valid at least up to 6 months
The licenses can be obtained from many offices in Delhi.
Below is a link for all the zonal offices in Delhi which issues drivers’ licenses.
Image Source: Google Images