Earlier this week, Jeff Bezos, in a letter to the employees at Amazon announced that starting the third quarter of FY2021, he will no longer be the CEO of Amazon.
In this letter, Bezos mentioned that “this isn’t about retiring” and that he would like to focus and will have more time for his “other passions” which include Blue Origin, Bezos’ aerospace manufacturer and sub-orbital spaceflight services company.
Along with that, Bezos announced that Andy Jassy will take over and he will transition into the Executive Chair of the Amazon Board.
In the letter, Bezos stated “Andy is well known inside the company and has been at Amazon almost as long as I have. He will be an outstanding leader, and he has my full confidence,”
Who Is Andy Jassy?
Jassy is likely to take over as Amazon CEO in August 2021. Here is a glimpse of his journey so far:
- Born on January 13, 1968, Jassy is an alumnus of Harvard College and Harvard Business School.
- He served as the advertising manager of The Harvard Crimson during his college days.
- Jassy joined Amazon in 1997 after doing his MBA from Harvard Business School. He was a project manager at MBI at an early stage of his career.
- Jassy worked as a technical assistant for Bezos in the early 2000’s and learnt business directly from him.
- He was an important person who led Amazon to look outside just book sales. Jassy is known as the founder of Amazon Web Services (AWS) later, he got promoted to CEO at AWS.
- After consumer chief Jeff Wilke, Amazon’s second most high-ranking official, announced his retirement, it was quite certain that Jassy would take over next, given his success at AWS.
- Jassy has stocks worth over $30 million at Amazon. His net worth as of November 2020 is estimated at $377 million. His base compensation was $175,000 while he was the CEO of AWS in 2020.
- Apart from his work, Jassy loves sports and is a part-owner of the new Seattle National Hockey League franchise, the Kraken, which will join the league in the 2021-2022 season.
- Married to Elana Rochelle Caplan, the couple has two kids. The family lives in Seattle, US.
- Jassy feels reinvention is the key to be successful in life.
“You want to be reinventing when you are healthy, you want to be reinventing all the time. You have got to be maniacal and relentless and tenacious about getting to the truth….You have to know what’s working and what’s not working,” Jassy had said in December at a company forum.
What do you think about the new leadership at Amazon? Let us know in the comment section!
Image Sources: Google Images
Find The Blogger: @darshanaaaac
This post is tagged under: Jeff Bezos, Amazon, Andy Jassy, Harvard College, Harvard Business School, MBA, Amazon Web Services, Jeff Wilke, Seattle National Hockey League, Elana Rochelle Caplan, Who Is The CEO Of Amazon, New CEO Of Amazon, Jeff Bezos Resigns, Why Did Jeff Bezos Resign, Who Is Andy Jassy, Amazon CEO, CEO Of Amazon, New Amazon CEO