As if humanity hadn’t gone awry enough in the wake of the misfortunate Lahore attacks and many before to shake you out of your cocooned existence, that the EgyptAir flight MS181 passenger plane’s is hijacked this morning.
Based on media reports, here is a primer on the strangely interesting developments so far:
1.#EgyptAir– En Route from Alexandria to Cairo EgyptAir with 81 passengers on board was hijacked and held hostage at Lacarna Airport in Cyprus.
2. Soon after landing the place was cleared of all patrolling so that women and children passengers could be disembarked.
The pilot reports that the hijacker was allegedly bearing a suicide belt and rigged with explosives and forced him to land at Lacarna.
3. Israel scrambled warplanes in its airspace in a precautionary expression. (Poor paranoiacs!)
4. The suspected hijacker is identified by the Egyptian media as Ibrahim Samaha, professor of Veterinary medicine at Alexandria University.
5. After much pandemonium on the airport, in a strange turn of events, the suspected hijacker threw a letter outside the plane in Arabic to be delivered to his estranged ex-wife. He demanded a dialogue with her in exchange for the hostages. (Woah! I see a potential Rohit Shetty movie plot in making.)
6. His ex-wife, Marina Parashkou, living in Lacarna was reportedly on the way to the airport. All conjectures of this being an act of terrorism were dismissed as it stinks of personal motives (and OCD, I believe).
Intriguing enough, Ibrahim denied all involvement in hijacking and claims to be just another passenger. Later the media disclosed the correct name of the hijacker to be Seif El Din Mustafa, an Egyptian national.
While all the authorities, media officials, ministers have turned into action, is this just a prank?
Is it just a love sick romeo’s desperate attempt to meet his estranged wife that he detours the plane. After all, jab pyaar kiya toh darna kya?
All this just makes me wonder if the world could get any weirder. Are we heading towards a total breakdown? Where exactly is the heart of the people and why have they taken leave of their brains? Do you play this internal rant in your head too every time such irrationality hits people?
Anyway. Maybe he was just struck with boredom. So next time you’re feeling bored, go on a plane hijacking spree because playing Space Invaders is too mainstream.
However, deepest sympathies with the guys in cold sweat for every time people like Ranveer Singh and this crazy hijacker set the bar too high to impress the ladies.
Image Credits: Google, Twitter, TOI