By Vageesha Bainwala
Every next day a wedding card of a distant relative reaches your doorstep. It’s the season of marriage. In a country like India, weddings are a BIG thing. And so is the Bollywood Industry. With the given similarities between a BIG FAT INDIAN WEDDING and a MASALA FLICK, it’s automatic to connect them. One finds it highly difficult to know whether Bollywood copies the Indian culture or weddings copy the Cinema ishtyle.
Both are pure entertainers with lots of high voltage melodrama, euphoric song and dance sequences, chaos and confusion, glitzy outfits and traditional yet stylish décor. The 90s saw an upsurge of wedding films like Hum Aapke Hain Kaun and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge and their success says it all. Believe it or not DDLJ is still running in Maratha Cinema in Mumbai, creating new records. And these films brought a new trend in where each flick had at least one marriage scene with all the dance and drama. Not a single RAJSHRI Production or a YRF film was complete without a typical Indian Wedding!!
Within no time, these reel life wedding movies made their way into real life weddings, setting popular fashion trends, dance moves and elaborate rituals. Salman running after Madhuri for the bridegroom’s chappals made the JOOTA CHORI RASAM a fashion. Hum Saath Saath Hain showed a conventional arranged marriage. The parody in which every member of the family was introduced to the dulhan became a huge hit. Chandni dancing to the tunes of Mere Haathon Mein Nau Nau Chuddiyan is still fresh in minds of all. The Ladies Sangeet Ceremony all of a sudden became more important than the pheras itself.
The list is endless with thousands of films to be given credit for the superb wedding collection Indian Cinema has given us. So this season we present to you the most famous songs for every ritual. Revisit your time and look forward to a BIG FAT INDIAN WEDDING, the BOLLYWOOD WAY.
1. Sun Sun Sun Didi Tere Liye Ek Rishta Aaya Hai— Khoobsurat
2. Shayad Meri Shaadi Ka Khayal – Sautan
1. Aaj hai Sagai, Sun Ladki Ke Bhai— Pyaar toh hona hi thi
2. Wah Wah Ramji Jodi Kya Banayi— Hum Aapke Hain Kaun
PRE MARRIAGE CELEBRATION:-
1. Yeh Galiya Yeh Chaubara— Prem Rog
2. Meri Pyari Behiniya Banegi Dulhaniya— Saccha Jhootha
3. Navrai Majhi — English Vinglish
1. Mehendi Laga ke Rakhna— Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
2. Mehendi Hai Rachne Wali — Zubeida
3. Sau Sau Peer Manavan — Black And White
1. Baari Barsi — Band Baaja Baarat
2. Balle Balle— Bride and Prejudice
3. Mere Hathon mai Nau Nau Choodiyan Hain— Chandni
1. Chote Chote Bhaiyon ke bade bhaiya— Hum Saath Saath Hain
2. Saajan ji ghar aaye — Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
3. Shaaba ni Shaaba — Pinjar
1. Joote do paise lo— Hum Aapke Hain Kaun
JAIMALA AND PHERAS SONG:-
1. Dulhe ka sehra suhana lagta hai— Dhadhkan
2. Din Shagna Da Aaya Ni Aao Sakhiyon— Dillagi
3. Taare Hain Baraati— Virasaat
1. Main to chod chali babul ka desh— Saraswati Chandra
2. Babul Ki Duaayein Leti Ja— Neelkamal
3. Sada Chidiyan Da— Kabhi Kabhi