Meet José Mujica. He may look like your average farmer or grandfather, but he is anything but. This man is globally known as the world’s “poorest President” because he lives a life of humility… all while leading the country of Uruguay. As a man who truly cares about his people, he doesn’t take an obscene amount of money to just act as a politician. He donates about 90% of his $12,000 monthly salary to charities that benefit poor people and small entrepreneurs.
Other countries, listen up.
- He has literally spent his entire life fighting for his country.
- He was a guerilla fighter that battled for the rights of the country’s citizens, was imprisoned twice and was shot 6 times after an escape attempt.
- This is Uruguay’s Presidential Palace. He doesn’t live here.
- Instead, he lives here, on a farm with his wife.
- He actually is a part-time farmer. He and his wife also grow and sell flowers. He also drives a 1987 Volkswagon Beetle.
- He only has two guards positioned on his road, showing true faith in his people.
Instead of acting like he is better than everybody else, the president of a country wholeheartedly believes that he IS like everybody else.
In a time when it seems that rich politicians rule the world, learning about Jose is truly refreshing. Please share this article with others.