Truck racing started way back in the United States around the 1980’s. It soon made it’s way to Europe and became very popular in England. Now Tata Motors have decided to bring this new format to India with the launch of Tata Prima T1 truck racing Championship. It is affiliated with the FIA(Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile) and FMCI(Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India) with safety and performance guidelines being followed according to the British Truck Racing Association(BRTA). The drivers competing are coming in from European Truck Racing Championship and British Truck Racing Championship. Tata Motors aim to promote their trucks and create a passion amongst enthusiasts by launching this new format of racing in India. The first race was held at the Budhh International Circuit at Greater Noida on the 23rd of March 2014.
- This championship consists of six teams with two drivers each
- The trucks have been race-prepped though they are still based on stock trucks
- Consists of 1 qualifer and 2 races
- First race is a 5-lap sprint race while the second is a 15-lap main race
- Both races have a rolling start
The Teams and Drivers:
- Team: Castrol Vecton
Drivers: Stuart Oliver & Dave Ball
- Team: Cummins
Drivers: Mat Summerfield & Simon Reid
- Team: Tata technologies motorsports
Drivers: David Jenkins & Brian Burt
- Team: Dealer Daredevils
Drivers: Steve Thomas & Graham Powell
- Team: Dealer Warriors
Drivers: Ben Horne & Steven Powell
- Team: Allied Partners
Drivers: Richard Collett & Paul McCumisky
- The Truck is a Tata Prima 4038.S
- It is powered by a 6.5L six cylinder engine
- Produces 370bhp of power at 2100rpm and 1550Nm of torque at around 1200rpm.
- Has a top speed of 110 km/h
- Better figures due to bigger turbo and improved internals
- Mated to a 9-speed manual gearbox
- Bigger discs upfront and drums at the rear
- Water jets cool brakes on the move (similar feature seen in international truck racing championships)
- Fitted with race-spec 315/80 R22.5 tyres.
- Improved weight distribution with the fuel tank and wheel coupling being moved towards the rear end.
- Racing seat with 5-point harness.
- Fire extinguisher, roll cage, easily accessible engine cut-off control and a window net for the driver’s safety.
The first ever Tata Prima T1 truck race was won by Stuart Oliver of team Castrol Vecton Oliver’s team. Dave Jenkins of team Tata Technologies Motor Sports finished 2nd while Mat Summerfield of team Cummins got the last podium spot. The repeat of the race will be broadcasted on Ten sports between 9-10pm(1st april 2014).
Pictures courtesy: Tata Motors T1 Prima Truck Racing Facebook page