International Women’s Day is celebrated on March 8th every year. To mark the day this year, Love Matters India is launching a week-long campaign “Pleasure in pop culture – For women, by women” to celebrate women’s pleasure in popular culture – through the female gaze.
The campaign will focus on celebrating and affirming positive and diverse representations of women’s sexuality, pleasure and desire through everything that comes under the umbrella of ‘popular culture’.
This includes movies, television shows, shows on online streaming platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime directed or written by women, popular art, photography, books, magazines – by women, and focusing on pleasure of women.
Writers, bloggers, comic strips, stand-up comedies – where women have taken the lead to articulate their own interpretation(s) of women’s pleasure – which have otherwise usually been presented on-screen and in popular culture through the dominant male gaze.
The objective of the campaign, therefore, is to highlight, celebrate, and contribute to conversations online and offline about enabling more spaces for diverse, bold, inclusive and fun representations and discourses of women’s pleasure – by and for women!
The campaign will take place both online and offline. As part of the online campaign, the team behind the event are calling on women artists and designers to submit their work on the theme “What does pleasure mean to you?”
Talking about the campaign, Vithika Yadav, Head of Love Matters India said, “Popular culture and especially Bollywood movies have been a major point of reference for Indian culture. Women have for most part always been portrayed within male-constructed stereotypes. This Women’s Day we want to talk about and celebrate the work of some women who are breaking the stereotypes related to women and the phenomenon of the ‘Indian Woman and pleasure’ coming-of-age.”
Love Matters India will curate the submissions, and share it on their social media channels, as well as at a small exhibition during the offline event scheduled for March 9th in Delhi.
The offline event will take place on March 9th, Saturday, at Raasta, Hauz Khas from 4:30 pm to 7 pm.
Many women performers will take the stage and use various means of performance arts to highlight female pleasure.
- Titled ‘Pleasure in pop culture For women, by women’ – the campaign #ByWomenForWomen will focus on the representation and portrayal of female sexuality and pleasure in popular culture in India
- The offline event #ByWomenForWomen will take place on Saturday, March 9th, at Raasta, Hauz Khas from 4:30 pm to 7 pm
- Performances by various female artists on the theme of female pleasure and sexuality
- Showcasing a slideshow of snippets from various movies, books and other examples where female pleasure has been talked about from the perspective of female gaze
- Art work exhibition of top 5 submissions from women on the theme – ‘What does pleasure mean to you?
Date: Saturday, March 9th, 2019
Time: 4:30-7 pm
Venue: Raasta, Caribbean Lounge, Green Park, New Delhi
Join Event Page: Click HERE
Register here if want to attend: Click HERE
So join in the celebrations on March 9th, Saturday, from 4:30 – 7 pm at Rasta!
ED is proud to be their blog partner.