Disclaimer: Originally published in August 2019. It is being republished since it still remains an interesting topic till today.
With the change of Jammu & Kashmir’s status from state to union territory to enable the Central government to control it directly, there has been an increase in the number of troops deployed in the region.
Twitter and other social media platforms have been abuzz with news from various quarters, with some alleging that the army is being violent towards civilians in Kashmir.
This claim has been denied by the army as fake news.
While we as civilians and students may not be in a position to personally verify what is true and what isn’t, I am speaking from the perspective of someone who has family and friends in the armed forces.
Watch my video below:
From a purely personal point of view, as someone with friends and family in the armed forces, I’d like to state the following *facts*:
- Even though their profession involves carrying guns, they’re not bloodthirsty or fond of violence for the sake of it.
- When it comes to situations of conflict, it’s the men at the border who suffer the most. In addition to their lives being constantly on the line, they need to deal with the dual hostility of terrorists and non-cooperation from some civilians.
- In such situations, life isn’t all fun and games, especially when you know that despite all your efforts, you could get blown up any minute.
- The armed forces put a great deal of emphasis on having a good character. Many of those I know are people with upright morals and character, and who joined the forces out of love for their country and the wish to protect and defend it.
- I’d also like to emphasize that they’re just DOING THEIR JOB, and have feelings and emotions too, and are not mindless killing machines.
In conclusion, I’d just like to say that the armed forces are following their orders like everyone else, and it’s best not to demonize them.
Image Credits: Google Images
Find the author online at: @samyukthanair_
Disclaimer: We do not hold any right, copyright over any of the images used, these have been taken from Google. In case of credits or removal, the owner may kindly mail us.