“Everything has to come to an end one time or the other” says Sania Mirza’s father Imran Mirza over his daughter’s split with Swiss tennis pro Martina Hingis. The pair reportedly parted ways on amicable terms and purely on professional grounds.
Hingis announced the split as joint decision on her Instagram this week. The duo was responsible for displaying an amazing winning streak of 41 matches within a short course of 16 months and owning three Grand Slam titles.
A Look Back:
- Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza started to play together back in March 2015. Mirza had split from her doubles partner Hsieh Su-wei after losing at Qatar Ladies Open, 2015.
- The pair went on to play their debut at Indian Wells and emerging victorious at first attempt.
- The winning streak continued with Hingis & Mirza earning all the major Grand Slam titles except the French Open on the trot.
- The unbeaten streak came to an end with the duo losing to Russian pair Elena Vesnina and Daria Kasatkina at the Qatar Ladies Open, 2016.
- After May 2016, the duo couldn’t proceed any further beyond the quarter final stage in any major tournament and subsequently failed to defend their Wimbledon title.
- Hingis and Mirza finally called it quits after failing to achieve desired results.
Sania Mirza will be contesting for the US Open with Czech partner Barbora Strycova who had just recently shocked the world with eliminating the William Sisters at the Olympics while Hingis, currently at the Olympics has paired up with Timea Bacsinszky of Switzerland for the time being.
With the split marking the end of one of the most amazing partnerships in women’s doubles pairs of the Open Era, it’ll be exciting to see what it would be like when the pair eventually faces each other with their new partners on the ground.
If you liked this, you might wanna check out: Back In Time: World’s First Lawn Tennis Championship Begins In Wimbledon