Sushma Swaraj. These two words conjure up a fond smile on the face of many an Indian today.
Known as a candid, humorous lady who knew her way around social media, she was also one of the nation’s most celebrated Foreign Ministers.
Her ever-smiling countenance gave a motherly reassurance to those she helped during her tenure as Foreign Minister, and she had an empathetic touch that’s rare to Indian politicians.
Here’s some info about her personal life:
- She was born Sushma Sharma on 14 February, 1952, in Ambala Cantt.
- She did her bachelor’s at Sanatan Dharma College, Ambala Cantt, and majored in Sanskrit and Political Science
- She went on to study law at Panjab University, Chandigarh. In the 50s and 60s, it was both rare and creditable for women to be so well-educated.
- An extremely capable woman, she was the youngest ever to hold a cabinet position in Haryana.
- She participated in a statewide competition conducted by the Language Department of Haryana, and won the Best Hindi Speaker Award 3 years in a row.
- She was married to Swaraj Kaushal, a fellow advocate at the Supreme Court, during the Emergency.
- They have a daughter, Bansuri, who studied at Oxford, and is a barrister.
- Sushma Swaraj’s brother Gulshan Sharma is an Ayurvedic doctor in Ambala, and her sister Vandana Sharma is an associate professor in Haryana.
- In 2016, Sushma Swaraj underwent a successful kidney transplant, receiving the kidney from a living donor.
- In spite of facing such health issues, she continued to do her work, and didn’t quit politics till the very end.
To know our opinion on this dynamic leader, watch the video below:
Image Credits: Google Images
Find the author online at: @samyukthanair_