One of the key appliances every home in India must have is a water purifier. Since the water that gets into our homes is full of invisible contaminants, you need a reliable water filter that will provide clean and healthy water for your family. Reverse Osmosis [RO] is one of the best water purification systems that will give you tasty water that is free from harmful contaminants.
It uses pressure to push water through a semi-permeable membrane that removes all impurities. As compared to other purification systems, RO is the most effective filtration process. In this article, we shall discuss all the important things you should know about this filtration process.
Factors that Might Affect a RO Water Purifier
Even if RO systems are very effective, there are some factors that may affect their performance. Some of these factors include;
A. Quality of the device- You will find that RO systems are made of different components and as a result, some are more expensive than others. In most cases, cheaper models are not as effective as the expensive models. They also have a shorter lifespan as compared to the premium purifiers. If you want to get the best value for your money, you should avoid buying cheaper models and instead look for the best RO water purifier in India.
B. Water pressure – Another thing that may affect the performance of RO systems is the water pressure. The pressure should be enough to push water through the semi-permeable membrane. In case the pressure is not enough, the water may be passed straight to the drain. In such cases you would typically need to install a separate water pressure pump to increase the water pressure at the installation point.
C. Water quality – If the input water contains high levels of contaminants (TDS over 2500 ppm) then the domestic RO water purifiers might not work. In such instances, you may need to install commercial RO systems. Similarly, if the TDS of input water is under 300 ppm, then using a RO water purifier will reduce the TDS of purified water much lower than the desired TDS in drinking water. In such cases, you should purchase the best UV water purifier in India.
RO Filtration Stages
Most reverse osmosis systems use 5 filtration stages which include;
1. Sediment removal- Before water goes through the semi-permeable membrane, it first undergoes through sediment removal where big particles are removed from the water. The particles that are removed at this stage are; large debris, dirt, rust and salt.
2. First carbon filter- During this stage, impurities which can damage the semi-permeable membrane are removed. These impurities include chorine, pesticides and small particles which can pass through the semi-permeable membrane. The good thing about carbon filters is that they enhance the taste of the water which is one of the major selling points of RO purification systems.
3. Second carbon filter -This stage is not available in all RO purifiers, but it is a very important stage that removes all particles before water is passed through the semi-permeable membrane. This stage increases the life of RO membrane.
4. Reverse osmosis membrane – At this stage, the water is usually free from all particles and large sediments which means that it can pass through the semi-permeable membrane. This membrane contains very many tiny holes which allows water to pass through when pushed towards the membrane. This means that only clean water can pass through this membrane.
5. Impurities removed- All the impurities that may be present in the water are removed as the water passes through the semi-permeable membrane. The impurities are then removed from the RO water filter through a separate pipe to prevent any chances of particles getting back into the filtered water. This means that the water that gets into your tap is very clean and safe for drinking.
Key things to consider when choosing a RO System
Water pressure- Reverse osmosis can only work when there is enough pressure to force water through the semi-permeable membrane. Therefore, you should consider a RO filtration if the water pressure at installation point is about 60 PSI or you would need to install an external water pressure pump.
Water source- The contaminants available in your water source may affect the filtration process. This means that if there are many contaminants in the water, it will be very difficult for the semi-permeable membrane to remove all of them effectively. In case your water source has a lot of impurities, you need to install the commercial RO system.
Replacement filters – In order to get the best results, RO systems require frequent maintenance. This means that you need to replace the filters frequently depending on the model. It is recommended you change the carbon filter, polishing filter and the sediment filter at least once per year. The semi-permeable membrane should be replaced after two years. Remember that high quality RO purifiers don’t require frequent maintenance as compared to the cheaper ones.
Storage capacity- When comparing different RO water purifiers, you will find that they have different storage capacity. This means that some are suitable for small families while others are great for large families. Some are able to store up to 75 gallons of water although their price might be a bit high. You should choose a RO purifier that can store enough water for your family.
What are the Benefits of Reverse Osmosis?
If you are searching for the most effective water purification system, RO systems are the best. Below are some of the benefits you will enjoy if you opt to use a RO water purifier.
> One of the major benefits of these purifiers is that they are most effective in removing harmful microorganism such as viruses and bacteria from the water.
> Unlike other purification systems, RO systems are able to remove heavy metals such as lead, arsenic and dissolved salts.
> In terms of design, they have a compact design which means that they don’t require a lot of space.
> Another benefit of these systems is that they provide clean and tasty water unlike other purifiers since they do not remove heavy metals from the water.
With no doubt, RO water purifiers are very effective when it comes to removal of contaminants from the water. However, you need to ensure that you have picked a top-quality model, when buying because they are not equally effective. If you have been wondering how reverse osmosis water purifier works, we hope that you have learned something from this article.