Sania Mirza recently claimed the number one spot in the Women’s doubles tennis rankings! This is pretty big news, but bigger news was how surprised people were when they heard she had achieved this feat.
Would you have been this surprised if Andy Murray became world number one? I don’t think so! And that’s exactly why this shouldn’t be surprising either.
Confused? Have a look at this:
Graphic credits: Harshita Sharma
Here are some other things you should know about Sania Mirza:
- She has never won a Women’s Doubles Grand Slam Title
- She is the first Indian woman in the history of tennis to claim the number one spot in the doubles rankings
- Although she is a right-handed player, she has a two-handed backhand stroke
- She was the WTA newcomer of the year in 2005
- She is also a recipient of the Arjuna Award and Padma Shri
- She was announced the UN Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia and became the first South Asian Woman to be appointed as a Goodwill Ambassador
- She is also the brand ambassador for the state of Telangana
Still surprised about Sania Mirza making it to the top? Well, you really shouldn’t be.