On June 30, 2022, Eknath Shinde was sworn in as the twenty-first Chief Minister of Maharashtra at the Raj Bhavan in Mumbai. Only a few hours after declaring that he would not participate in the new Maharashtra administration, the former chief minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis, took the oath of office as the deputy chief minister.
Previously, Eknath Shinde held the position of Cabinet Minister for Public Works and Urban Development (Public Undertakings) in the Maharashtra state government. Additionally, he is a Thane MLA who was elected from the Kopri-Pachpakhadi district.
The movement against Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray was spearheaded by Eknath Shinde.
Here are 6 little known facts about the new CM of Maharashtra –
1) In order to provide for his family, he once drove an autorickshaw. He steered his family out of a distressful situation by bravely picking up the profession.
2) He has won four straight elections to the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly as an MLA in the years 2004, 2009, 2014, and 2019.
3) Eknath is a member of the Maratha community and is a native of Satara, Maharashtra’s Jawali taluka.
4) In the year 2004, he was chosen for the very first time to serve in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly as a member.
5) Anand Dighe, the president of the Thane Shiv Sena at the time, initiated him to politics in the early 1980s. After Dighe passed away in 2001, he took over Dighe’s legacy.
6) In the year 2018, he was chosen to lead the Shiv Sena.
On June 2, 2000, Eknath Shinde lost his two sons in a boating accident. Shinde allegedly suffered from depression for several months as a result of the incident.
Anand Dighe, the president of the Shiv Sena in Thane, extended him assistance at that time and gave him more responsibilities to keep him busy. Dr. Shrikant Shinde, his surviving child, is a reputed orthopedic surgeon. In the year 2014, he was chosen to represent the Kalyan seat in the Lok Sabha, and in 2019, he was re-elected.
Image Credits: Google Images
Feature Image designed by Saudamini Seth
Find the blogger: @SreemayeeN
This post is tagged under: CM, eknath shinde, government, india, Maharashtra, new
Disclaimer: We do not hold any right, copyright over any of the images used, these have been taken from Google. In case of credits or removal, the owner may kindly mail us.