Delhi is a big, bustling, chaotic melting-pot of a city, home to people from all over India. It’s beautiful and terrifying in equal measure- especially if one is visiting it for the first time. And stereotypes apart, for someone who has lived their entire life in the South, visiting Delhi for the first time can be a bit of a culture shock.
Here are some thoughts every South Indian has while visiting Delhi for the first time:
1. It’s 7 am, but feels like 10. This city sure gets busy quickly!
2. Wow, everyone looks super stylish and put-together for 7 am. Is that lady wearing lipstick? I haven’t even bathed yet.
3. OK, evidently, this city believes in “survival of the fittest.” Learnt that after being elbowed out of 3 autos. Mainly by old ladies.
4. Why is everyone so loud? Also, do people not believe in using earphones to listen to music?
5. Huh, it’s midday and its still foggy. Oh wait- that isn’t fog…
6. I JUST SAW A JAGUAR (car, not wild animal)!!!! WHY IS EVERYONE SO CHILL ABOUT THIS? IT’S A JAGUAR!!!!
7. Oh wait, there’s a Mercedes. And there’s an Audi. And there’s some unrecognisable sporty-looking car. Never mind.
8. This place has two temperatures- hot as hell and cold as your ex’s heart.
9. Apparently, the concept of personal space does not exist in this part of the country.
10. This is the Best. Tea. Ever. And so cheap! It should be celebrated. And it is, if the queue is any indication. I’m from Kerala. Believe me, I know my tea.
11. Why are the houses so close together? If there’s ever a fire (God forbid), this city is done for.
12. Why aren’t there any people walking their pets? *Sees vehicles swerving and screeching dangerously close to the sidewalk* Oh, that’s why.
13. Wow, people here really go out of their way to help if you ask for directions. Like, they drop whatever they’re doing and get personally involved in helping you find your destination.
14. OK, please stop laughing at my Hindi. Thank you.
15. Travelling here is magical. One minute you pass a swanky mall, the next minute you’re stuck in a massive traffic jam beside a tranquil, crumbling ruin from five centuries ago.
16. OHMYGOD THE SHOPPING!!! THE MARKETS!!! EVERYTHING IS SO CHEAP!!! AND SO PRETTAYYY!!!
17. OK, these shopkeepers are out of my league. I don’t know how to bargain with them. Maybe I should pay attention to how native Delhiites bargain.
18. The food! Such variety! Much wow!
19. Every lane looks the same. I’m lost.
20. OK, found my way back on this awesome (but still crowded) Metro. I love this city!
Image Credits: Google Images