Money can buy you anything except life. A well- paying job can actually take away from you a lot more than you can imagine.
Infertility in men in on a rise and you never know if you’re the next victim thanks to your occupation.
You also know, in real life there are not many Vicky donors.
What’s infertility in men?
Inability of the male to cause pregnancy in a fertile female- this could be due to poor count or quality of the sperms.
How serious is it?
Infertility is a widespread problem and the number of victims is only rising with increased stress and other factors.
In 1 in every 5 infertile couples, the problem lies solely in the male partner.
Moreover, 1 in every 20 males faces some or the other kind of male infertility issue.
What causes it?
Some common reasons are excessive smoking, heavy marijuana, genetic diseases, other diseases like mumps, malaria, trauma, etc.
But the causes don’t end there. Recent studies show that various occupations are leading to male infertility and if you happen to belong to any of these, you better take the precautions than regret later.
– Bikers: A study reveals that cycling more than 5 hours per week might cause poor sperm quality. All the biking enthusiasts, please take a note of this.
– Gym trainers and Athletes: Long distance runners and gym trainers are prone to reduced testosterone levels due to excessive heat generation in the body. So next time you decide to hit the gym or plan running, make sure you don’t overdo it. After all, it’s not just about a fit body and good looks.
– Welders and other Plant Workers: By now you must have figured out why this profession could be a reason for infertility. Yes, it’s the heat radiations one gets exposed to in these places. Including bakery and foundry, working in extremely hot environments will harm sperm production.
– Taxi/Truck Drivers: Drivers showed lower sperm quality and the severity increased if they’re on the job for a long time. A suggestion for all those planning to quit their jobs and join the Ola/Uber frenzy for higher salaries would be: Think twice.
– Corporate Employees: People whose job requires them to sit at one place for long durations are also susceptible to infertility. Of course, you’re not suggested to quit your job. But what you can do is take frequent walking breaks for 5-10 minutes.
Stress and Hypertension:
If you take all the above suggestions as per your profession but are subjected to frequent stress or suffering from hypertension, it will be of no use. Among them heart, vascular and blood pressure problems play the largest role.
Although it is easier said than done to ease stress and high blood pressure, eating healthy food like fruits and veggies and maintaining a healthy life style will definitely work wonders.
Remember, there’s no magic potion for fertility!
Salini is an MBA student at NMIMS, living in Mumbai. She wants to bridge the gap between ‘wanting to write’ and ‘what is written’.