Elections in India have always been a tool of entertainment for the general public.
Gathering around a chai-shop to discuss the politics of our country, all the problems we are facing and how the government is not doing anything is the norm these days. In India, even if your child might not be at the top of their class, one can hope to earn back their respect by cursing and calling the government useless.
Even the least bit of knowledge of opinion on current politics is enough to have everyone in awe of you or of course the fail-safe method of voluntarily announcing the names of every station yet to come while on a train journey.
So when an aam admi talks about politics, he isn’t just discussing it in the fear of the future; it is an accessory to save his ever decreasing significance.
And this time, it is the Samajwadi Party which is carrying the burden to load you up with their internal turbulence; giving you something to discuss before the elections.
The disparity is between the two sides- the present CM Akhilesh Yadav and his uncle Shivpal Yadav. The party founder, Mulayam Singh tried playing the role of a moderator but failed, terribly.
While the duo is busy engaging in sacking each other’s favourites in the party, the party itself is moving towards a probable split. Double Double; Toil and Trouble; Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble.
The characters that are involved in the tussle are:
Mulayam Singh Yadav (SP’s Chief)
Akhilesh Yadav (CM of UP and son of Mulayam Singh Yadav from his first wife)
Shivpal Singh Yadav (SP’s Chief for UP and Mulayam’s cousin and one of his favourites)
Ram Gopal Yadav (Mulayam’s cousin and Akhilesh’s favourite)
- In June 2016 Shivpal wanted to make ties with Quami Ekta Dal led by a goon-turned-politician, Mukhtar Ansari. Both Shivapal and Mulayam had thought that party’s merger with QED would help in upcoming elections. But Akhilesh nullified this merger.
- Akhilesh started removing Shivpal’s men who were in the administration.
- In August, Shivpal threatens to resign from the party.
- Mulayam warned his son that if Shivpal leaves the party, the party would incur losses.
- In September, Akhilesh suspended two another ministers that were close to Shivpal on grounds of corruption.
- Mulayam comes in between. He expelled his son from SP’s UP chief position and gave it to Shivpal.
- Akhilesh then, just hours later, made his uncle Shivpal devoid of all important ministerial portfolios that he held in the party.
- Shivpal resigned from the key positions.
- A meeting was held at Mulayam Singh’s residence to calm Akhilesh. The meeting was attended by all senior members of the party, but all of it was in vain.
- On Sunday, Akhilesh dismissed Shivpal with other three ministers.
- Hours after that, Ram Gopal Yadav (Akhilesh’s favourite) was expelled from the party for six years by Shivpal Yadav.
Akhilesh Yadav, the young and laptop giving CM has finally learnt the ways of politics. But it seems that the pace at which he learnt his lessons is what has his guardians worried.
While his father and uncle are of the view of depending on old school techniques, Akhilesh Yadav thinks that development and employment are the need of the hour. Though Akhilesh has emerged as a face of corruption free politics, it seems it is only a sugar-coated feudalistic case. His insecurity came out when a party source told the media that he said, “I’m netaji’s son and only heir in the party”.
You may like to read: